Job98456
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Job98456

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Top Copywriting Hints - Interviewing Techniques For Articles and Case Studies

Go down 
AuthorMessage
raj_mmm9

Number of posts : 1850
Registration date : 2008-03-08

Top Copywriting Hints - Interviewing Techniques For Articles and Case Studies Empty
PostSubject: Top Copywriting Hints - Interviewing Techniques For Articles and Case Studies   Top Copywriting Hints - Interviewing Techniques For Articles and Case Studies EmptyFri 14 Mar - 21:04

There can be few more powerful techniques in copywriting than a direct quote - from a 'Voice in the Industry', a customer/client, a dispassionate observer. The opening quotation marks signify to the reader - "now for something of real value". That's why successful copywriters need to know how to get to the guru, how to gain agreement for an article, and how to capture the real essence of the conversation.

Getting VIPs to be interviewed

For journalists in the national press, or editors in the trade press, it's not too difficult to get through to VIPs, opinion makers, big names, celebrities, authorities. But what about the new, unknown writer?

A million years ago, when I was on a course at London Business School, one of the young students pulled off an amazing coup. She managed to engineer an interview with a very high profile cabinet minister who was playing a prominent role on the world stage at that time. When fellow students begged the secret of how she had pulled off such a feat, the answer was... "I just phoned him up and asked." Lesson number one - if you don't ask, you don't get.

Lowering the barrier

Whether it is a high profile interview, or a customer case study, remember your subject is busy and could do without the hassle. They also do not want to risk being exposed in print. So, step straight in with the two reassurances they need:

1. "It will only take 15 minutes of your time - a simple phone call"
2. "Nothing will be published without your formal approval"

Using the phone rather than face-to-face

For all the disadvantages of telephone communications, particularly lack of eye contact, it can be an ideal approach to article interviews:

* It clearly will not take up much of the subject's time (point 1 above)

* It is so much more productive of your own time, eliminating travel

* People are much more 'to the point' over the phone

* They will not feel inhibited by your using a recording device...

Use a digital voice recorder, rather than taking notes

I always record my telephone interviews. It allows me to listen with a clear mind, rather than struggling to keep up scribbling notes. If unfamiliar jargon is used (I do a lot of pharmaceutical and IT interviews), I am able to capture each word exactly as said and look it up at my leisure. It also allows me to pick up nuances and stresses that are impossible to capture in note form.

I use a Telephone Recording Connector that links to a standard corded phone. In the UK, they cost around £20 ($40). The one I use is made by ReTelle. It records directly to my hard drive.

I use transcription software that allows me to type in playback mode, slowing speech, 're-winding' and so on, all controlled by the keyboard. It was a free download from an Australian company called NCH Swiftsound.

Digging for gold

When interviewing industry experts, it can be useful to ask if the subject has a PowerPoint presentation on the topic (usually they do). Once emailed to me, the subject is able to talk me through the topic, over the phone, while we both view on-screen.

The danger for beginners is working to an over-structured list of questions, resulting in a sort of verbal 'tunnel vision'. A neat way of breaking out is to lead with some very global questions, such as "If you were given a magic wand, what would be the things you would like most to see changed?", "What is the biggest single strength you see in XYZ? And the biggest single weakness?"

Open and Closed questions

Professional broadcasters all know the value of, and when to use, Open Questions and Closed Questions.

Closed Questions are those that prompt a Yes or No answer. Yet are ideal for.

* Testing understanding (asking yes/no questions) "So, you are happy to be quoted, provided you have editorial sign-off and control before publication?"

* Setting up a desired positive or negative frame of mind (asking successive questions with obvious answers either yes or no ). Are you happy with your current supplier?

They are very much to the point, so they are ideal when an interviewee is being evasive (listen to experienced TV interviewers confronting politicians).

Open Questions are questions that cannot be answered with a simple Yes or No.

* They invite a descriptive, a fuller response. For example, using a closed question: "Did you have good weather on holidays?" might invoke a simple "Yes." That could mean anything from snow to sun to wind, depending on the type of holiday. The Open Question ''What sort of weather did you have on holiday?'' might have elicited the response ''Fantastic! We had the best snow ever for skiing.''

* They will reveal opinions and feelings.

* They get people to evaluate their views/feelings/opinions

* They encourage conversation (helping us achieve a good listen/talk ratio). Professional TV interviewers make considerable use of Open Questions early on in the interview.

* They gain time - time to think.

How, under the pressure of an interview, can you easily ensure that your questions are Open Questions?

Easy - they usually begin with Why? and How? "Why did you change your supplier?", "How did your Widget change your life?
Back to top Go down

Top Copywriting Hints - Interviewing Techniques For Articles and Case Studies
Page 1 of 1